2018 Conference Roster
What you can expect:
- Debate important issues with student leaders from across the state.
- Opportunities to meet elected officials
- Develop leadership skills
- Network with the future leaders of the State of Alabama
- Fun! Like this: Watch the CLEG Wardrobe video
- Bill Writing – Each Delegate will write a bill which, in their opinion, makes the state of Alabama a better place to live. This bill will be written prior to the conference and submitted online.
- Committee Meetings – Every Delegate will be assigned to a committee with about 20 other students will a similar bill topic. Each committee member will get a chance to present their bill to the rest of the committee so that it has a fair chance to advance to the legislative session.
- Legislative Sessions – Each delegate is assigned to either the House of Representatives or the Senate. These groups meet in the Statehouse Chambers and debate the bills that have made it out of committee. Everyone who attends has an opportunity to be called on to speak.
- Speeches and Elections – Officers for next year’s conference will be elected and appointed by the end of this year’s conference. The officers help plan and execute the conference and meet regularly throughout the year.
When: March 1-3, 2018
Where: Montgomery, Alabama [Alabama Statehouse and Embassy Suites]
Cost: With hotel fee: (Based on 4 per room)
$175 If paid by December 8
$195 If paid by January 31
$205 If paid after January 31
*FEE DEPENDENT ON DATE OF PAYMENT EITHER ONLINE OR VIA CHECK, NOT REGISTRATION DATE. AVAILABILITY AND ROOM RATE CAN NOT BE GUARANTEED FOR RESERVATIONS MADE AFTER THE JANUARY 31 DEADLINE. ROOMS THAT DO NOT HAVE 4 PEOPLE WILL BE CHARGED $60 PER EMPTY SPACE. RESERVATIONS WILL BE COORDINATED AND PAID BY THE YMCA.
How do I sign up?
- Register online
- Submit Registration Form and Fees to your School Representative.
- Write a bill and submit it Online by January 26 [You can go to www.cleg.org to submit and for more info on how to write a bill.]
- Prepare for the conference by researching your bill topic and checking www.cleg.org regularly for updates.
**If you do not have a School Delegation Leader, please contact the Conference Office.
Thurs., March 1 Casual Dress All Day
- 3:00 –5:00 p.m. Registration at Hotel Dinner on Your Own
- 7:30 –8:00 Opening Session
- 8:15 – 9:15 Committee Meetings
- 9:30 Activities Devotional (optional)
Fri., March 2 Business Dress until Supper
- 8:15 Transportation to Statehouse
- 9:00 Legislative Session I – Alabama State House
- 11:45 a.m. Lunch (provided)
- 1:00 p.m. Legislative Session II
- 5:00 p.m. Speeches & Elections
- 6:00 Dinner and entertainment (provided) Delegation Meetings
Sat., March 3 Business Dress All Day
- 8:00 a.m. Checkout of Hotel
- 9:30 General Assembly – Hotel
- 12:00 p.m. Closing Luncheon
- 2:00 Conference Ends